Monday, January 23, 2006

Church-A Family Tradition

I was born into a Christian family with a deep heritage in a particular Christian denomination (though they would call themselves non-denominational). Because of my religious heritage, I had to wade through generations of traditional church teachings from family members who were “big name” preachers and teachers.

When I started studying Scripture for myself, I learned how to properly study and exegete Scripture. This caused me to question many traditional family and church teachings. Instantly, I was labeled a "heretic" for questioning accepted “truths”. I was no longer welcome to teach or preach in my family church. I was also ostracized by certain family members.

This was tough, but I knew that I had to question EVERYTHING or settle for a relationship with Christ merely based in a learned religious “system.” I didn't want that. I desired a "personal" relationship with Christ, not a traditional one.

Over the years, my relationship with my earthly father and family was mended. My family became more open-minded. I became less confrontational. Maybe we all just grew up.

Or, maybe we each began our personal journey to discover "the Christ of Scripture" rather than "the Christ of family and church tradition."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home